Smart Garage Door Openers
Home WIFI networks have allowed many modern conveniences in our day to day lives. Automated lighting, heating and smart speakers are among the many examples. Smart garage door openers use the same technology to provide additional features and security that are available with a new smart garage door opener. In addition, a smart opener adds resale value to your home. Let’s look into some details.
Smart Garage Door Opener Definition
A smart garage door opener connects to the internet through a home WIFI network allowing remote control and many other features. There are two classes of smart openers: the After Market Smart Opener that are added to existing openers and smart enabled garage door openers that come with smart functions built in.
After Market Smart Openers
After Market smart openers are added to your existing opener to provide smart access. For example, the Genie Aladdin Connect Smart Garage Door Controller replaces your wall switch with a WIFI enabled controller allowing access from a smart phone. A sensor is attached to the garage door so the app can tell what position the door is in. Some add-on smart openers require wiring to the existing opener which is fairly easy to do if your opener is compatible. After Market smart openers usually have some of the following features:
- control from one or more smartphones
- voice control
- auto close rules that close the door at a set time or after being open for a programmed period of time
- compatibility with smart home systems like Alexa and Hey Google
- virtual keys allowing temporary codes for visitors or contractors so they can access the door functions from their own smartphones
Smart Garage Door Openers
A smart garage door opener has WIFI connectivity already built in. All garage door opener vendors offer some form of smart openers as consumer demand has increased. Top of the line openers like the Liftmaster 84505R interface with the MyQ app offering a ton of features including:
- Built-in camera adding video and 2-way audio communication to the myQ app
- Complete control and monitoring of the garage with the myQ app from anywhere
- Integrated LED lighting system that brightens high traffic areas of the garage with 1500 lumens of light
- Ultra-quiet DC motor and strong belt drive system reducing noise in living spaces near the garage
- Works with Amazon Key for convenient and secure In-Garage Delivery of Amazon packages and groceries – watch deliveries happen in real-time
- myQ Diagnostics in the myQ app providing real-time insights for your garage door via the Health Report
With a video camera, remote control lighting and WIFI, smart openers become a versatile part of your home security. As a result, homeowners enjoy added peace of mind when they’re at home or on the road.
Why Smart Openers?
A smart garage door opener provides peace of mind in a number of ways. First, no need to worry after you’ve left the house if you remembered to close the garage door. With a smart garage door, you can make sure it’s closed from anywhere with your smartphone. Second, you can be notified anytime your garage door is opened. This can be useful if you’re away and not expecting anyone to be in the garage. In addition, we like the door scheduling function. You can preset a daily closing time so you never need to wonder if you remembered to close the door in the middle of the night.
Home Access Control
Another advantage of smart openers is the ability to open and close the door from anywhere with a smartphone. You may want to provide temporary access to a friend, relative or even a contractor so they can go in and out while you’re away. Smart door apps allow you to create codes for others to use that you can enable or disable as needed.
Secure Package Delivery
Home package delivery has taken off recently and so has package theft. Deliveries left on the front porch are prime targets for theft. A smart garage door allows you to open and close the door for delivery drivers so your packages are safely stored in the garage until you get home. Some garage door apps integrate with services like Amazon Prime providing even more convenience.
Recommended Smart Opener Models
The Liftmaster 84505R is packed with features taking full advantage of the hi-res camera and audio features allowing homeowners to monitor their garage from anywhere. This opener works with the popular MyQ app to provide a huge set of functions and conveniences.
- Built-in camera adds video and 2-way audio communication to the myQ® app.
- Control, secure and monitor your garage with the myQ app anytime, from anywhere.
- Integrated LED lighting system brightens high traffic areas of the garage with 1500 lumens of light.
- Ultra-quiet DC motor and strong belt drive system ensures for comfortable living spaces near the garage.
- Works with Amazon Key for for convenient and secure In-Garage Delivery of Amazon packages and groceries allowing you to watch deliveries in real-time.
- myQ Diagnostics in the myQ app provides real-time insights for your garage door via the Health Report. Receive alerts and error codes in the app if an issue arises and connect with a professional for services if needed.
The Chamberlain B6753T is feature rich and also works with the MyQ app. What we like about this particular model is the battery backup. Chamberlain offers the same model without battery backup for $70 less, but for the money we suggest getting the backup.
- Built-in camera: 130⁰ wide angle camera lets you see and hear what’s happening in your garage through the myQ® app.
- Smartphone control: Control, secure and monitor the garage with the myQ app- anytime, from anywhere.
- Integrated Corner to Corner™ LED lighting: Uniformly brightens every corner of the garage, motion activated, 2,000 lumens.
- Quiet operation: An ultra-quiet DC motor and belt drive system ensures for comfortable living spaces near the garage.
- Open/close your garage door even when the power is out with Battery Backup.
- Works with Amazon Key: Enables convenient and secure In-Garage Delivery. PLUS live video streaming capabilities let you watch your Amazon packages and groceries get delivered to your garage in real-time.
- BILT® intelligent instructions: 3D instructions for a quick, easy installation.
The Genie Stealth750 is an affordable option while offering quiet operation with a hefty 1 1/4 HP motor. In addition, it features battery backup which is a requirement in some states. However, this model doesn’t have any audio or video capabilities which keeps the cost down. If audio and video aren’t needed, this may be a great choice.
- Keeps you connected without the need for added hardware
- Aladdin Connect is compatible with the most popular smart home platforms like Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- Set-up is a breeze, simply download the free Aladdin Connect App, connect your homes Wi-Fi and you have a smartphone connection in no time
- 1-1/4 HPc DC motor will smoothly and quietly lift sectional garage door up to 7 ft. in height and up to 500 lbs. in weight
- Easy-to-install strong 5-piece rail system snaps together with no added hardware
- Keep your home safe with state-of-the-art security of Genie Intellicode that changes the opener’s access code when the remote is used
- GenieSense monitoring technology minimizes wear and tear by always monitoring the door
- Works with popular built-in car remotes systems such as HomeLink and Car2U (Genie exclusive)
- The integrated backup battery operates opener when your power goes out up to 50 cycles from initial power failure.
- Accessories Included: a 3-Button remote, Multi-Function wall console, and 2-LED light bulbs
Smart Openers Are A Smart Upgrade
WIFI technology has allowed manufacturers to add a ton of features using WIFI, apps and smartphones. These new features provide additional security and convenience at affordable prices. Whether adding on to an existing opener or getting a brand new opener, smart garage door openers are worth a look. Feel free to contact us if you need more information.